[gmx-users] Re: Re: g_velacc problem (Florian Dommert)

Florian Dommert dommert at icp.uni-stuttgart.de
Wed Oct 13 14:32:26 CEST 2010

On 10/13/2010 02:08 PM, Florian Dommert wrote:
> On 10/13/2010 01:01 PM, Eudes Fileti wrote:
>> Hi Florian, thank you for your help!
>> I informed at the file.mdp that the velocities should be saved:
>
>> ; OUTPUT CONTROL OPTIONS
>> ; Output frequency for coords (x), velocities (v) and forces (f)
>> nstxout                  = 10
>> nstvout                  = 10
>> nstfout                  = 0
>> ;
>

> Hi,
>
> I took a quick look at the code and realized that the problem is the -m
> flag. I will try to fix this and report ASAP.
>

> /Flo

Hello,

 there is a wrong check in line 164/165:

  if (bMol)
    bTPS = bM || ftp2bSet(efTPS,NFILE,fnm) ||
           !ftp2bSet(efNDX,NFILE,fnm);

It should be:

  if (bMol || bM)
    bTPS = ftp2bSet(efTPS,NFILE,fnm) || !ftp2bSet(efNDX,NFILE,fnm);

If you change this lines in src/tools/gmx_velacc.c and recompile,
everything should work fine.

Attached there is a patch against the master branch which should fix the
issue.

/Flo

P.S Perhaps a developer can commit this patch :)

>> Also, I checked the trajectory using gmxcheck and I got this:
>
>> Checking file traj.trr
>> trn version: GMX_trn_file (single precision)
>> Reading frame       0 time    0.000
>> # Atoms  7178
>> Last frame     150000 time 3000.000
>

>> Item        #frames Timestep (ps)
>> Step        150001    0.02
>> Time        150001    0.02
>> Lambda      150001    0.02
>> Coords      150001    0.02
>> Velocities  150001    0.02
>> Forces           0
>> Box         150001    0.02
>

>> So I believe that velocities are OK.
>> I've been using version 4.5 and not version 4.5.1,
>> Do you believe that's the problem? Or it could be memory problem?
>> _______________________________________
>> Eudes Eterno Fileti
>> Centro de Ciências Naturais e Humanas
>> Universidade Federal do ABC  CCNH
>> Av. dos Estados, 5001
>> Santo André - SP - Brasil
>> CEP 09210-971
>> http://fileti.ufabc.edu.br
>

>>     On 10/12/2010 11:12 PM, Eudes Fileti wrote:
>>     >  Hi everybody, I'm trying to use g_velacc to calculate the diffusion
>>     > coeficient for my solute.
>>     >  For this, I performed a simple simulation to test such tool.
>>     >
>>     >  1000 water molecules,
>>     >  NPT ensemble
>>     >  positions and velocities colected every 0.01ps
>>     >  Gromacs 4.5.
>>     >
>>     >  However, once I run: g_velacc -f traj -s -n index.ndx -o -m -acflen
>>     > 1000 -nonormalize
>>     >
>>     > I get the following error:
>>     >
>>     > Group     0 (         System) has  3000 elements
>>     > Group     1 (            SOL) has  3000 elements
>>     > Group     2 (             OW) has  1000 elements
>>     > Group     3 (            HW1) has  1000 elements
>>     > Group     4 (            HW2) has  1000 elements
>>     > Select a group: 1
>>     > Selected 1: 'SOL'
>>     > trn version: GMX_trn_file (single precision)
>>     > Reading frame       0 time    0.000   Segmentation fault
>
>>     Recently I used g_velacc in gmx 4.0.7 and it worked fine. Now I just
>>     tested the gmx4.5.1 version for you and it also worked. So it seems that
>>     there is something wrong with your trajectory. Are you sure that
>>     velocities were saved, which is not the case for an xtc file. You have
>>     to explicitly define nstvout in your mdp file, that tells gromacs how
>>     often the velocities should be written to the trr file.
>
>>     /Flo
>
>>     >
>>     > I've tried several things. I changed flag values. I tried the -mol
>>     > option. I tried converting a trajectory
>>     > to another format (.trj). I tried using the version 3.3.3 of g_velacc.
>>     > Nothing worked, always the same error.
> [...]

- --

EMail: dommert at icp.uni-stuttgart.de
Home: http://www.icp.uni-stuttgart.de/~icp/Florian_Dommert