[gmx-users] free energy decomposition

David van der Spoel spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Wed Oct 13 20:42:41 CEST 2010

On 10/13/10 8:30 PM, Chris Neale wrote:
> Sanku,
>
> This is not possible using g_energy or any other gromacs tool that I am aware of.
> You must calculate the temperature derivative of the free energy.
> See, for example, equation 16 in Pettitt BM, Rossky PJ. J Chem Phys. 1986;84:5836

Recent versions of gromacs will actually plot the enthalpy in the energy
file, and since your are only interested in the enthalpy difference that
would work *if it wasn't for the umbrella sampling*. I think if you had
used constraints rather than umbrellas this might do the trick.

Temperature dependence is of course a dependable way as well.

--
David.
David van der Spoel, PhD, Professor of Biology