[gmx-users] Questions about REMD calculations

chris.neale at utoronto.ca chris.neale at utoronto.ca
Thu Oct 14 18:16:35 CEST 2010

Stefane,

why are you hesitant to reduce the size of your system. If you can
still address the same questions with a smaller system, then I'd say
the answer is nearly always to use that smaller system (REMD or not).
Besides, my gut feeling is that even if you had enough 271*16 cpus
available, you would not get enough exchanges within a reasonable wall
clock time to get a converged answer. I say this because you're
basically looking at a protein folding problem over 12*7 residues
(larger than I have seen REMD be successfully reported) but also you
have a big entropy problem because the 7-mers are not tethered
together so this might even be harder than protein folding. Sure,
there could be some help from symmetry, but I assume that you don't
know that yet or else why do REMD?

I am personally highly suspect about REST: what ensemble does this
method sample, exactly?

Implicit solvent might be an option, but only if your implicit solvent
aggregation energy landscape has important minima in the same place as
the explicit solvent energy landscape, and how would you know this?

So I suggest that you make your box smaller and look at 2 peptides in
a box of water (try to get even fewer than 10K waters if you can).
Besides, this is your first REMD right? That's another reason to keep
things simple at the start. If you get good results from this, you can
publish them and them move on to the more complex system if you
believe that you can converge it. Perhaps with your first results in
hand, you could get an allocation from GENCI, Grand Equipement
National de Calcul Intensif, or some similar HPCS organization in
France, to compute the second part.

Chris.