[gmx-users] Questions about REMD calculations

XAvier Periole x.periole at rug.nl
Thu Oct 14 18:32:44 CEST 2010

Well indeed the more atoms (degrees of freedom) in your system the
more replicas you need to insure exchanges between temperatures ...

I would say that even 135 replicas * 16 cpus= 2160 cpus ... that is
still
an enormous amount of cpu time for 12 small peptides :))

do you need to go up to 600K ? You can be sure that at that temperature
the force field is not accurate and the peptides will just be really
crazy ...

what about you keep the temperature lower than 400 K. You still will
increase your sampling considerably but need much less cpus! You can
convince yourself by simulating your system at 400K and 600K and
look at its behavior ...

Then I am not a fan of implicit solvents so I'll pass on that, then
for the
coarse grained FF the OPEP FF seem to be fine for your application.
You can also look at the ones from Deserno's group (bereau-2009) and
from Feig's group (primo: gopal-2010). I am no sure how the one of voth
is transferable ... the others are :))

XAvier.