[gmx-users] Questions about REMD calculations

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Fri Oct 15 03:29:12 CEST 2010

  On 15/10/2010 2:54 AM, ABEL Stephane 175950 wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I come back to you for several questions about the futures replica-exchange calculations that i would like to perform. The system of interest will contain 12 peptides (with 7 residues each) and 40000 water molecules, it come from a previous MD performed in NPT ensemble. With these systems, i would like to study the aggregation process between the peptides.
>
> After reading several paper about REMD method and playing with the Temperature generator for REMD-simulations web server (http://folding.bmc.uu.se/remd/), i suspect that this system is too big for REMD. Indeed if use the following parameters in the webserver
>
> Pdes 0.2
> Temperature range 290 - 600

IMO there are a lot of published REMD studies that use a temperature
range far in excess of what they really needed. Indeed, there are
several that were then so short that they didn't get much value for the
higher-temperature replicas. REMD is useful for enhancing sampling,
perhaps because barriers are easier to cross at higher temperatures. In
principle, you want as large a temperature range as will allow you to
traverse the highest barrier readily. That is rarely known in advance,
but your expectation of what these peptides will do in the simulation
should guide you. If they were going to wander around on their own and
not agglomerate, then a matter of tens of degrees is probably enough :-)
If they're going to tie knots around each other (a la prions), then
maybe no reasonable temperature will ever break them up.

Otherwise, I agree with the other posts.

Mark