[gmx-users] g_dipole ? => dipole moment ?

Chih-Ying Lin chihying2008 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 03:30:17 CEST 2010

HI
I confined one molecule in the center of box and issue the g_dipole command.
The average dipole moment is still around 32.
It is the molecule with 33 atoms / united atoms of most carbon groups, isn't
the dipole moment around 32 too high?

How can I test next  and  know that the dipole moment around 32 is
acceptable?

Thank you
Lin

On 2010-10-16 21.36, Chih-Ying Lin wrote:

> Hi
> I issue the g_dipole command on Gromacs => And, the following
> information is shown.
> There are 10 molecules in the selection,
> Does the Average =32.1611 refer to the average for a single over the
> simulation time?
> Or, the Average = 32.1611 summing for all the 10 molecules over the
> simulation time?
> If the average = 32.1611 for a single molecule with 33 atoms / united
> atoms of most carbon groups, isn't the dipole moment too high?
I think this is the average per molecule. You may need to run trjconv
-pbc whole, because mdrun may break molecules in two parts, meaning that
the molecule becomes as big as the box.