[gmx-users] g_dipole ? => what is the bond length of the ionic bond in the dipole moment calculation?

Chih-Ying Lin chihying2008 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 06:06:17 CEST 2010

Hi
molecule dipole is 48.0 sum of q_i x_i
x_i the bond length for covalent bond.
but what is "x_i" for salt-molecule?

For salt-molecule, the ionic bonds are broken in water solvent and the
counter ions are spread among the water.

What is the "x_i" of the ionic bond in the dipole moment calculation?
Is x_i equal to the distance of the two parts of the salt-molecules (the
counter ion and the rest of the molecule) even though the salt molecule has
dissolved in the water?

I mean, is x_i equal to the length of simulation box if the counter ion and
the rest of the molecule are in the two sides of the simulation box?

I mean, if Gromacs takes x_i as the length of simulation box if the counter
ion and the rest of the molecule are in the two sides of the simulation box?

Thank you
Lin

Try http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_dipole_moment , you might want
to read the part about calculating dipole moments for an array of point
charges, it is not difficult. 33 point charges are doable using pencil
and calculator in about 10min. Do not worry about the reference point as
long as your system is neutral, just set it to (0,0,0). Otherwise, take
any kind of first year physics book it will contain very similar
information.