[gmx-users] question about periodic boundary conditions

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Oct 20 22:22:17 CEST 2010

rainy908 at yahoo.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to quantitatively determine, from a trajectory file,
> whether a molecule is interacting with a copy of itself in the adjacent
> box (given that PBC is applied)?  Currently, I'm using VMD - I've
> already loaded the *xtc file into the*gro structure file and viewed the
> "periodic images to draw" under the Periodic tab of Graphical
> Representations.
>
> But I figure there's got to be an analytical way to do this, using
> g_dist or g_mindist?  How the molecule is interacting (with its adjacent
> copy) is not the primary interest - I just want to know whether
> interactions among adjacent molecules are occurring.

 From g_mindist -h:

"With option -pi the minimum distance of a group to its periodic image is
plotted. This is useful for checking if a protein has seen its periodic image
during a simulation. Only one shift in each direction is considered, giving a
total of 26 shifts. It also plots the maximum distance within the group and
the lengths of the three box vectors."

-Justin

> Does anyone have any ideas?
>
> Thanks,