[gmx-users] RE: Gibbs free energy of binding

Ehud Schreiber schreib at compugen.co.il
Thu Oct 21 10:39:03 CEST 2010

Actually, I believe that using the energy difference, Delta E, as an
approximation to the free energy difference, Delta G, is a valid
approach (which I'm considering myself). The entropic contribution to
Delta G, namely -T Delta S, may be less prominent than Delta E.
In addition, Delta S can be approximated by various means - see e.g.
Doig & Sternberg 1995. I understand that such an approach is utilized in
the Accelrys Discovery Studio.
Obviously, this is an approximation that might be too crude for some
applications.

What do you think?