[gmx-users] RE: Gibbs free energy of binding

Sander Pronk pronk at cbr.su.se
Thu Oct 21 11:29:19 CEST 2010

To put some numbers to what David said, here's an experimental paper on a well-studied drug-protein complex:
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/pdf/10.1021/bi001013s

the entropic contribution of HIV-1 protease inhibitor binding is about 3x bigger than the enthalpic contribution for all 4 drugs studied there.

I'm not sure if that's a special case, but if you're leaving out entropy you are at the very least doing an uncontrolled approximation - you don't know how big the term is you're missing, and it could be the dominant term.

Sander