[gmx-users] Force-field files location and order of reading in Gromacs 4.5.2

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Oct 21 13:28:32 CEST 2010

Karel Berka wrote:

>      > Hi all,
>      >
>      > I have detected that preference in reading forcefield files in
>     Gromacs
>      > 4.5 has probably been changed from Gromacs 4.0.x and older.
>      > In older gromacs, when there was forcefield with modification
>     present in
>      > my working directory, then it was read preferentially, but now it
>     seems
>      > that forcefield is primarily read from /share/top directory - Am
>     I right?
>      >

>     The working directory is still searched first.
>

> Unfortunately, it is not, otherwise ff in subdirectory of my working
> directory would have been first one to use for grompp.
> However, pdb2gmx was working fine for protein and ions around.

My guess is that this is a matter of how the force field was #included in the
.top file.  For instance:

#include "my.ff/forcefield.itp"

will match $GMXLIB first, but

#include "./my.ff/forcefield.itp"

will match the working directory first.  Is this perhaps the issue you're
finding?  Other simple #include statements (like #include "ions.itp", etc) still
use the old order of preference, but subdirectories make that a bit more difficult.

>      > In 4.5.2 I have tried to have modified gromos53a6.ff in my working
>      > directory, but the modification was not used by gromacs.
>      >

>     What do you mean "not used"?  Was the wrong force field called when
>     using
>     pdb2gmx?
>

> I did not used pdb2gmx since I am simulating membrane protein.
> The only place when I needed to include forcefield itp was grompp
> program in use on computer cluster , where I cannot reach /top directory
>

>     Gromacs prints a list of force field subdirectories in the working
>     directory, then in GMXLIB, and allows you to choose.  In the 4.5.x
>     series, you
>     need a full working subdirectory of the modified force field.
>
> FF.dat is not used anymore?

No.  The list of force fields is populated from the *.ff entries in the working
directory and $GMXLIB.

-Justin

>     -Justin
>

> --