[gmx-users] AFM/COM Pulling differences?

chris.neale at utoronto.ca chris.neale at utoronto.ca
Sun Oct 24 19:23:39 CEST 2010

Disclaimer: I'm not an AFM experimentalist, this is based on what I have read.

I agree with Justin on the how, but have you thought carefully about
the why? I doubt that you can complete simulations that pull as slowly
as a real AFM machine: 0.5 um/s = moving 1 nm over 2 ms of simulation
time. Even within the experimental technique, you will get different
profiles with different pulling rates. I have seen the output from
such simulations run by others and one gets many different results
that are difficult to interpret. Note also that experimental AFM
results are averaged over hundreds of repetitions in the work that I
have read.

In any event, check your convergence by running many times from
different random seeds and other startup conditions.

Just saying,
Chris.