[gmx-users] g_rmsf -res yes ? => should I type "yes" to activate the "average-function" ?

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Oct 26 02:07:53 CEST 2010

Chih-Ying Lin wrote:

> Hi
>
> g_rmsf -res yes ?
>
> g_rmsf -res no ?
>

> should I type "yes" to activate the "average-function"?

No.  The command is either g_rmsf or g_rmsf -res.  There is no "yes" or "no"
required.

> As i tested "g_rmsf -res",
> the average is not over time and not over the atoms in the residue.

You will not get a plot over time.  The calculation is done over time, but only
the final result is plotted.  If you have a plot of RMSF vs. residue, then
averaging has been done over all the frames supplied, and over all the atoms in
each residue.  Unless you can prove that something has not been done correctly,
then there is no need to repeatedly post the same question.

-Justin

> Anyway, how to activate the "average function" ?
> Thank you
> Lin
>

> Chih-Ying Lin wrote:
>  >
>  >
>  >
>  >
>  > Hi
>  > g_rmsf -f abc.xtc -s abc.tpr -res -o abcrmsf.xvg
>  >
>  >  From manual => it says   " Calculate averages for each residue  "
>  >                      =>  does Gromacs do average over time for each
>  > residue ?
>
> The average is done over time and over the atoms in the residue.
>
>  >                      => however, the results did not show difference
>  > with and without " -res  "
>  >

> I doubt that.  Without -res, you get RMSF per atom.  With -res, you get
> RMSF per
> residue.  The output is inherently (and necessarily) different.
>
> -Justin
>
>  >
>  >
>  >