[gmx-users] Center of Mass removal in a specified direction

Sander Pronk pronk at cbr.su.se
Tue Oct 26 13:56:51 CEST 2010

One trick I am working with right now, is to have
- periodic boundary conditions only xy
- remove the COM motion of the water and the graphite separately. The COM motion is now removed only in the xy direction, so they are free to move in z.
- put the surface (your graphite) at coordinate 0
- enable a wall. For this wall you can specify an atom type which specifies its interaction with the rest of the system. Make a special wall atom type that only interacts with the graphite.

This way you have a system that's free to move its COM in z, but not in xy, and still stays stuck to a specific coordinate.

Sander