[gmx-users] Forcefield parameters

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Oct 26 22:04:47 CEST 2010

Sai Pooja wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 3:46 PM, Justin A. Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu
> <mailto:jalemkul at vt.edu>> wrote:
>

>     Sai Pooja wrote:
>
>         Hi,
>          I want to change the non-bonded parameters to modify the
>         interaction between water molecules and protein molecules.
>          I am using CHARMM forcefield with Tip3p water.
>          The ffnonbonded.itp file of the forcefield has non-bonded
>         parameters for tip3p water. Can I achieve the above by changing
>         these parameters?
>

>     That depends on your definition of "modify," but yes, in a way, you
>     can make changes here.
>

> 1) Modify - Multiply sigma and epsilon by a constant
>
>         If yes, will this also change the non-bonded parameters for
>         water - water interaction?
>
> 2) Is there a way to add a new ifdef perhaps such that a modified sigma
> and epsilon can be used for water-protein interactions and the
> unmodified parameters can be used for water-water interactions?

Nonbonded interactions are calculated during the simulation by applying the
combination rules defined by the force field.  There is no simple way to do this
with an ifdef, since that is just in the topology.  You can't conditionally
apply nonbonded parameters.  That just sounds like a recipe for breaking a force
field.

-Justin

> Pooja
>

>     Yes.
>
>     -Justin
>

>         Pooja
>
>         --
>         Quaerendo Invenietis-Seek and you shall discover.
>

>     --
>
>     Justin A. Lemkul
>     Ph.D. Candidate
>     ICTAS Doctoral Scholar
>     MILES-IGERT Trainee
>     Department of Biochemistry
>     Virginia Tech
>     Blacksburg, VA
>     jalemkul[at]vt.edu <http://vt.edu/> | (540) 231-9080

>     Please search the archive at

> Quaerendo Invenietis-Seek and you shall discover.

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar
MILES-IGERT Trainee