[gmx-users] Isovalue for g_spatial representation

chris.neale at utoronto.ca chris.neale at utoronto.ca
Sun Oct 31 01:12:24 CEST 2010

No you can not do that. You can only say that it is drawn at N times
the average number density of solvent molecules. To determine N, find
out the average grid.cube value in a region of pure solvent, let that
value be A, and N=10/A.

Clearly you're trying to do a figure caption, and I'm sorry that the
tool does not do this for you. There are technical issues that make it
harder than you might think to automate although it certainly could be
done.

You can estimate A by sliding the bar in VMD and A is next to where
the bulk water disappears. This will give you an estimate that you can
later use to ensure that your quantitative value is correct. To get
the quantitative value, you'll probably need to run awk over the
grid.cube file and average over a predefined section. Careful though,
don't go all the way to the boundaries of the cube, the corners there
are likely low density due to rotation from trjconv.

Chris.