[gmx-users] LINCS vs SHAKE

thompsjj at purdue.edu thompsjj at purdue.edu
Sun Oct 31 02:02:49 CET 2010

I would look for an error in the input files first.
However, I have a suspicion that this artifact is most likely from a
thermostat problem than LINCS. LINCS may be the object that is
throwing the exception, but in a recent paper by Rosta et.al., it was
shown that weak-coupling thermostats (such as the Berendsen
thermostat) that produce noncanonical ensembles (narrowed fluctuation
amplitude) undergo significant configuration-space distortion under
REMD simulations.

This causes an artificial bias towards exchange of replicas at the
high and low end of the temperature scale. In other words, at some
point during REMD, LINCS ends up having to deal with a superheated
replica showing up at the colder energy levels, forcing it to cope
with extremely high differences in velocity.
Switching to a stronger coupling thermostat may be required in these cases.

  <J. Chem. Theory Comput., 2009, 5 (5), pp 1393?1399>

~jared

Quoting chris.neale at utoronto.ca: