[gmx-users] Reg: NPT Equilibration of water

Tsjerk Wassenaar tsjerkw at gmail.com
Sun Oct 31 10:17:54 CET 2010

Hey,

There's quite a number of people that should be rereading their statistics... :p

First of all, there are instantaneous measurements, averages and
fluctuations. If the statistics (mean/fluctuation) are 7 +/- 500, then
that doesn't mean that the average of 7 is an estimate that may be off
by 500, and the true average can lie between -493 and 507. It means
that the average is 7, but that any instantaneous measurement may be
expected to lie between those values, and that two measurements, say
-300 and +300, can not be expected to be from different distributions.
So a pressure of 300 bar measured in one frame does not suggest that
the pressure of the system is higher than that of a system of the same
constitution with a pressure measured in one frame of -300 bar.

Now the real issue is that the average value (7) is an estimate of the
true mean, which is expected to be 1, as that is given as target
value. The average was determined over a short time, 100ps. Every
interval of 100ps will yield a different value for the observation
'average over 100ps', and these averages will have a certain
distribution around an average 'average over 100ps' observations. If
you do ten of these then the average over averages will still only be
an average over 1 ns, which will be a better estimator of the true
mean value, but is still an estimate itself. And this can be continued
ad infinitum. The average observed over a certain time interval will
converge to the true mean with increasing interval length.

The standard deviation of 'average pressures observed over 100ps' is
likely more than a few bar if the fluctuation in instantaneous values
is so huge. In that regard, an observed average pressure of 7 bar over
100ps is probably consistent with a system at a mean pressure of 1
bar.

Hope it helps,

Tsjerk