[gmx-users] g_cluster: optimal cutoff

Valeria Losasso v.losasso at grs-sim.de
Sun Oct 31 20:51:58 CET 2010

Dear all,
for my cluster analysis I am using the g_cluster tool with the gromos method.
The problem is that I have to compare the results for system of different lengths, and of course the result of the cluster analysis changes according to the cutoff chosen. So what will be a great choice in this case?
I was thinking about different possibilities, namely: i) choosing - as it is quite frequent in the literature - an arbitrary cutoff (like the default 0.1), but using the same for different systems would be probably not suitable...
ii) looking for every case at the RMSD distribution and choosing the minimum value between the two peaks - in this case the cutoff would vary for every system; iii) choosing for every system the cutoff that allows to have in the largest cluster the 50% of the structures, and also in this case the cutoff would be different for the different cases...

Any hint?
Thanks a lot,
Valeria

Valeria Losasso
v.losasso at grs-sim.de

German Research School for
Simulation Sciences GmbH
52425 Jülich | Germany

Tel +49 2461 61 8934
Web www.grs-sim.de

Members: Forschungszentrum Jülich GmbH | RWTH Aachen University
Registered in the commercial register of the local court of
Düren (Amtsgericht Düren) under registration number HRB 5268
Registered office: Jülich
Executive board: Prof. Marek Behr Ph.D. | Dr. Norbert Drewes