[gmx-users] problems with tutor version 4.5.1

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Sep 3 15:00:28 CEST 2010

Christian Schaffner wrote:
> Hi guys
>
> Are the tutorials from /share/gromacs/tutor still up to date?
>
> In GMXDEMO, I first had to make the file demo executable first by
> chmod +x demo
>
> Then, in Step 3, when running pdb2gmx, the executable window only shows
> up very quickly and the demo-program hangs. Probably, this is due to the
> (new?) choices that need to be made in the program.

Yes, there are more interactive choices, most notably water model selection.

> When trying to run
> grompp -v
> in the subdirectory water, I get
> Program grompp, VERSION 4.5.1
> Source code file:
> /ufs/schaffne/export/bio/gromacs-4.5.1/src/kernel/grompp.c, line: 1301
>
> Fatal error:
> Too many warnings (1), grompp terminated.
> If you are sure all warnings are harmless, use the -maxwarn option.
> I can use
> grompp -v -maxwarn 3
> which then works fine.

Probably related to the presence of unsupported old options.

> When running
> grompp -v
> in subdirectory mixed, I get
> Program grompp, VERSION 4.5.1
> Source code file:
> /ufs/schaffne/export/bio/gromacs-4.5.1/src/gmxlib/gmxcpp.c, line: 248
>
> Fatal error:
> Topology include file "methanol.itp" not found
> which I don't know how to fix.

This is likely due to the complete re-organization of the force fields, which
have a new subdirectory structure.

If you're looking for tutorial material, the Gromacs site has far more detailed
information:

http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Tutorials

Nonetheless, this stuff should be fixed, I suppose.

-Justin

> Thanks for some help,
> Chris

Justin A. Lemkul