[gmx-users] Gibbs Energy Calculation, Water/Octanol Partioning

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Sep 6 03:34:15 CEST 2010

As a follow-up, I found a post that I had remembered seeing before:

http://lists.gromacs.org/pipermail/gmx-users/2003-June/006054.html

Since your system has lots of important LJ interactions between pentane and
octanol (since pentane is uncharged), you may be seeing effects related to a
poorly-chosen value of sc_alpha.

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul wrote:

> Dallas Warren wrote:
>> I am working with Emanuel on this, so I will try here to pull all the
>> information together, clarify some things and address all the
>> questions people have asked re further information.
>>
>> We are attempting to calculate the partition coefficient (logP between
>> water and 1-octanol) of small molecules.  As a starting point we are
>> attempting to reproduce the results published by Garrido et al.
>> (http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/ct900214y) where they generate the Gibbs
>> energy of solvation in water and 1-octanol, for the alkanes from
>> methane to octane, then this is used to calculate the partition
>> coefficient.
>>

> Have you tried using the sd integrator?  That's what the authors of this
> paper used.  I don't know if there are stability issues with md vs. sd,
> but it's a starting point.
>
>> The forcefield we are using is ffG53a6 (which Garrido used as well).
>> We have been successfully using this same forcefield and Gibbs energy
>> calculation procedure to determine the Gibbs energy of hydration
>> (solvation in water) of small molecules such as methanol, toluene and
>> mono-ethylene glycol.
>>
>> The simulation procedure is:
>>         1 - minimise a single octanol molecule, L-BFGS then steepest
>> decent
>>         2 - fill a box randomly with 200 of these minimised octanol
>> molecules
>>         3 - place a single pentane within this octanol box
>>         4 - minimise this pentane / octanol box, L-BFGS then steepest
>> decent
>>         5 - turn on temperature coupling (v-rescale, T=298K, tau_t =
>> 0.5), constant volume for 50,000 steps, 2fs
>>         6 - turn on pressure coupling (Berendsen tau_p = 2.0, P =
>> 1.0), temperature coupling same, for 50,000 steps, 2fs
>>         7 - change pressure coupling to Parrinello-Rahman (tau_p =
>> 0.5), temperature coupling same, for 50,000 setps, 2fs
>>         8 - production run, 5ns, constant volume / no pressure
>> coupling, temperature coupling as per before, 2,500,000 steps
>>
>> A State is the "normal" pentane molecule, B State is the pentane
>> molecule made up of dummy atoms, with zero interactions and charges,
>> but the same mass.  Can see that in the pentane topology file below.
>>
>> Follow these links to see the topology files / parameter files:
>>         octanol http://hydra.pharm.monash.edu.au/md_project/octanol.txt
>
> Just FYI, this URL is not working for some reason, so I haven't been
> able to look at it.
>
>>         pentane http://hydra.pharm.monash.edu.au/md_project/pentane.txt
>>         production run parameter file
>> http://hydra.pharm.monash.edu.au/md_project/production.txt
>>
>> We have started with pentane, so Emanuel has run pentane in vacuum for
>> 5 ns, and it is stable and the molecular confirmations and movements
>> appear sane.  Moving to pentane in octanol, it is being simulated with
>> 16 λ (lambda) values (reproducing Garrido).  For λ=0. 0.05, 0.1, 0.2,
>> 0.3, 0.4 and 0.5 the 5 ns simulations of pentane in octanol are
> [...]

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar
MILES-IGERT Trainee