[gmx-users] ffamber03 H0 atomtype in 4.5.1

William Joseph Allen wjallen at vt.edu
Mon Sep 6 17:08:20 CEST 2010

Hello Gromacs users,

I have recently set up some simulations of a peptide using the amber03
force field in 4.5.1 and implicit solvent. When I run it through grompp,
it gives me the following:

Program grompp-4.5.1, VERSION 4.5.1
Source code file: grompp.c, line: 870

Fatal error:
Can't do GB electrostatics; the forcefield is missing 1 values for
atomtype radii, or they might be negative
.

The missing value it is referring to was also mentioned in the grompp
output:

***
GB parameter(s) missing or negative for atom type 'H0'
***

The 'H0' (read h-zero) atomtype only appears in glycine residues. It is
equivalent in all ways to the 'H1' (read h-one) atomtype. But for some
reason, in the gbsa.itp file, the 'H0' atomtype is commented out. When
it is un-commented, grompp proceeds as normal. My question is why is
this specific atomtype commented out in the amber03 gbsa.itp file?

Thanks in advance,

Joe