[gmx-users] restraining atoms to the plane at the bilayer center: pull code ?

maria goranovic mariagoranovic at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 10:54:01 CEST 2010

Hmm. I am getting the desired output now, at least as far as the pulled
atoms are concerned, they are all close to the bilayer center (was not so in
a free simulation), and therefore my suspicion is that the code is working.

Just to re-iterate, the atoms to be pulled to the bilayer center were
present at the lipid-water interface in both leaflets.

Here is the (apparently successful) pull code:

; COM PULLING
pull                = umbrella
pull_geometry       = position
pull_dim        = N N Y
pull_start        = no
pull_nstxout        = 5000
pull_nstfout        = 5000
pull_ngroups        = 2
pull_group0         = POPC
; global atom number of a POPC atom in the middle of the xy box
pull_pbcatom0       = 3100
pull_group1         = C35TOP
; global atom number of a C35 atom in the middle of the xy box
pull_pbcatom1       = 5467
pull_init1          = 0 0 0.0
pull_rate1          = 0
pull_k1             = 500
pull_vec1           = 0 0 0
pull_group2         = C35BOT
; global atom number of a C35 atom in the middle of the xy box
pull_pbcatom2       = 7755
pull_init2          = 0 0 0.0
pull_rate2          = 0
pull_k2             = 500
pull_vec2           = 0 0 0

##########################
Here is the output from grompp

Pull group  natoms  pbc atom  distance at start     reference at t=0
       0      4992      3100
       1        16      5467   0.000  0.000  3.184   0.000  0.000  0.000
       2        16      7755  -0.000  0.000 -3.160   0.000  0.000  0.000

###########################
The average COM pull En. and potential from the log file after 100 ps.
 2.96054e+03

###########################
And here is the output in the log files, detailing the pulling parameters

pull                 = umbrella
   pull_geometry        = position
   pull_dim (3):
      pull_dim[0]=0
      pull_dim[1]=0
      pull_dim[2]=1
   pull_r1              = 1
   pull_r0              = 1.5
   pull_constr_tol      = 1e-06
   pull_nstxout         = 5000
   pull_nstfout         = 5000
   pull_ngrp            = 2
   pull_group 0:
     atom (4992):
        atom[0,...,4991] = {0,...,4991}
     weight: not available
     pbcatom              = 3099
     vec (3):
        vec[0]= 0.00000e+00
        vec[1]= 0.00000e+00
        vec[2]= 0.00000e+00
     init (3):
        init[0]= 0.00000e+00
        init[1]= 0.00000e+00
        init[2]= 0.00000e+00
     rate                 = 0
     k                    = 0
     kB                   = 0
   pull_group 1:
     atom (16):
        atom[0]=5026
        atom[1]=5114
        atom[2]=5202
        atom[3]=5290
        atom[4]=5378
        atom[5]=5466
        atom[6]=5554
        atom[7]=5642
        atom[8]=5730
        atom[9]=5818
        atom[10]=5906
        atom[11]=5994
        atom[12]=6082
        atom[13]=6169
        atom[14]=6258
        atom[15]=6346
     weight: not available
     pbcatom              = 5466
     vec (3):
        vec[0]= 0.00000e+00
        vec[1]= 0.00000e+00
        vec[2]= 0.00000e+00
     init (3):
        init[0]= 0.00000e+00
        init[1]= 0.00000e+00
        init[2]= 0.00000e+00
     rate                 = 0
     k                    = 500
     kB                   = 500
   pull_group 2:
     atom (16):
        atom[0]=6434
        atom[1]=6522
        atom[2]=6610
        atom[3]=6698
        atom[4]=6786
        atom[5]=6874
        atom[6]=6962
        atom[7]=7050
        atom[8]=7138
        atom[9]=7226
        atom[10]=7314
        atom[11]=7402
        atom[12]=7490
        atom[13]=7578
        atom[14]=7666
        atom[15]=7754
     weight: not available
     pbcatom              = 7754
     vec (3):
        vec[0]= 0.00000e+00
        vec[1]= 0.00000e+00
        vec[2]= 0.00000e+00
     init (3):
        init[0]= 0.00000e+00
        init[1]= 0.00000e+00
        init[2]= 0.00000e+00
     rate                 = 0
     k                    = 500
     kB                   = 500

I would want to make sure I am doing this right

Best Wishes

Maria