[gmx-users] Amber force fields giving LINCS errors

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Sep 9 23:04:22 CEST 2010

TJ Mustard wrote:

<snip>

> *Positional restraint mdp file:*
>

> define                  = -DPOSRES
> constraints             = all-bonds
> integrator              = md
> dt                      = 0.004 ; ps

Unless you're using virtual sites (which, per your commands below, you are not)
this time step is inappropriately large and is a likely source of instability.
With plain constraints, 2 fs is more appropriate.

> nsteps                  = 2500 ; total ps = dt*nsteps
> nstcomm                 = 1
> nstxout                 = 200 ; output coordinates every ps = dt*nstxout
> nstvout                 = 1000 ; output velocities every ps = dt*nstvout
> nstfout                 = 0
> nstenergy               = 10
> nstlog                  = 10
> nstlist                 = 10
> ns_type                 = grid
> rlist                   = 0.9
> coulombtype             = PME
> rcoulomb                = 0.9
> rvdw                    = 1.0
> fourierspacing          = 0.12
> fourier_nx              = 0
> fourier_ny              = 0
> fourier_nz              = 0
> pme_order               = 6
> ewald_rtol              = 1e-5
> optimize_fft            = yes
> ; Berendsen temperature coupling is on
> Tcoupl                  = v-rescale
> tau_t                   = 0.1       0.1  0.1   0.1   0.1
> tc_grps                 = protein   RNA  SOL   NA    CL

Also a major concern - never couple solvent and ions separately!  See here:

http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Terminology/Thermostats

> ref_t                   = 310       310  310   310   310
> ; Pressure coupling is on
> pcoupl                  = berendsen
> pcoupltype              = isotropic
> tau_p                   = 0.5
> compressibility         = 4.5e-5
> ref_p                   = 1.0
> ; Generate velocities is on at 310K (core body temp)
> gen_vel                 = yes
> gen_temp                = 310.0
> gen_seed                = 173529
>

> *main molecular dynamics mdp file:*

<snip>

> define                  = -DPOSRES

Restraints during data collection, or did you paste the wrong file?

<snip>

> ; Generate velocities is on at 310K (core body temp)
> gen_vel                 = yes

Re-generating velocities after equilibration defeats the whole purpose of
equilibrating.  Per your commands below, you are not preserving the velocities
(grompp -t with .trr or .cpt file) obtained during your PR equilibration.

> gen_temp                = 310.0
> gen_seed                = 173529
>

> *And my script for running the whole process:*
>

> pdb2gmx -f receptor.pdb -o receptor.gro -p receptor.top
>
> editconf -bt cubic -f receptor.gro -o receptor.gro -c -d 1.5
>
> genbox -cp receptor.gro -cs spc216.gro -o receptor_b4ion.gro -p receptor.top
>
> grompp -f em.mdp -c receptor_b4ion.gro -p receptor.top -o receptor_b4ion.tpr
>
> genion -s receptor_b4ion.tpr -o receptor_b4em.gro -neutral -conc 0.0001
> -pname NA -nname CL -g receptor_ion.log -p receptor.top
>

> *Here I select the SOL for ions...*
>

> grompp -f em.mdp -c receptor_b4em.gro -p receptor.top -o receptor_em.tpr
>
> mdrun -v -s receptor_em.tpr -c "$base"_after_em.gro -g emlog.log
>
> grompp -f pr.mdp -c receptor_after_em.gro -p receptor.top -o receptor_pr.tpr
>
> mdrun -v -s receptor_pr.tpr -o receptor_pr.trr -e pr.edr -c
> receptor_after_pr.gro -g prlog.log -cpi state_pr.cpt -cpo state_pr.cpt
>
> grompp -f md.mdp -c receptor_after_pr.gro -p receptor.top -o receptor_md.tpr
>
> mdrun -s receptor_md.tpr -o receptor_md.trr -c receptor_after_pr.gro -g
> md.log -e md.edr -cpi state_md.cpt -cpo state_md.cpt
>
> *Where receptor is of course my protein/RNA pdb name*
>

> I always make sure that the pdb doesn't give me notes or warnings or
> errors of course in the pdb2gmx step. Most of the time I minimize to my
> computers "machine precision."
>
> **
>
> *This is the return I get from the "EM" step:*
>

> Stepsize too small, or no change in energy.
> Converged to machine precision,
> but not to the requested precision Fmax < 200
>
> Double precision normally gives you higher accuracy.
> You might need to increase your constraint accuracy, or turn
> off constraints alltogether (set constraints = none in mdp file)
>
> writing lowest energy coordinates.
>
> Steepest Descents converged to machine precision in 324 steps,
> but did not reach the requested Fmax < 200.
> Potential Energy  = -1.9868888e+07
> Maximum force     =  8.7276396e+03 on atom 19080

This is a very high Fmax, indicating that you have bad clashes in your system
that, when combined with the parameters above, surely leads to an unstable
system.  The fact that Gromos96 works is a bit curious, but you have too many
potential pitfalls listed here to specifically diagnose the difference based on
this information alone.

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate