[gmx-users] Regular vs. CHARMM TIP3P water model

Nicolas SAPAY nicolas.sapay at cermav.cnrs.fr
Tue Sep 14 13:11:47 CEST 2010

> Hi,
>
> I don't understand what exactly you want to reproduce.
> Standard tip3p and Charmm tip3p are different models, so the density does
> not have to be identical.
> The Gromacs Charmm FF implementation paper:
> http://pubs.acs.org/doi/full/10.1021/ct900549r
> gives 1002 for tip3p and 1015 for charmm tip3p (this is with LJ switched
> from 1 to 1.2 nm).
> I have in an old paper 986 for tip3p, with 0.85 nm cut-off plus dispersion
> correction.
> These numbers are quite different. I'll do some checking.
>
> Berk

Actually, TIP3P and CHARMM TIP3P are supposed to give (almost) identical
results as they are not exactly different models but different
implementations of a same model. That is why I'm surprised of the rather
large difference in the density values observed in my simulations or in
the JCTC paper.

In CHARMM, the additionnal Lennard-Jones parameters for the TIP3P hydrogen
are not here to better reproduce water properties but for practical
purpose - normally, the hydrogens are almost entirely included in the
oxygen VDW radius. As far as I understand, those parameters are here to
improve the stability of simulations by limiting artificial close contacts
between a large negative charge and the point charge on the hydrogen
atoms.

In fact, I was wondering if the Settle algorithm is appropriate to CHARMM
TIP3P. In the original CHARMM RTF file, there is a SHAKE constraint on the
H-H distance which is not present in the GROMACS tips3p.itp file. So, a
better use of the CHARMM TIP3P model in GROMACS would be to add this
constraint in tips3p.itp and use Shake instead of Settle, isn't it?