[gmx-users] Correction for the PBC!

teklebrh at ualberta.ca teklebrh at ualberta.ca
Tue Sep 14 15:53:05 CEST 2010

Dear Justine,

No, I have 20 surfactants in my system in a pure solvent and try to see the aggregation and adsorption properties of these molecules. I have run them for 20ns. And now start to analyze my data.

Just in short I want to correct for periodicity! so that to get the accurate result for my g_dist and g_rdf.

trjconv on the xxx.xtc.... Like

trjconv -f x_input.xtc -o x_out.xtc -b 19000 -e 20000 -s x_input.tpr -pbc nojump

or I have to cluster it first.

Rob

Quoting "Justin A. Lemkul" <jalemkul at vt.edu>:

> teklebrh at ualberta.ca wrote:
>> Dear Justine,
>>
>> I just checked at the archive list and found out lots of information
>> on how to correct for PBC! And if I understood it correctly is this
>> the right way to follow...
>> "If you are trying to correct for periodicity for all species in the system
>> (protein and water) then a few iterations of trjconv may be necessary, i.e.
>> -center (on protein), followed by -pbc nojump or -pbc mol -ur
>> compact. Using
>> trjconv is a bit hit-or-miss, and just requires a bit of playing to
>> get things working how you want them."
>>
>> trjconv -f xxx.xtc -o x_cluster.gro -b 19000 -e 20000 -pbc cluster
>>
>> grompp -f xx.mdp -c x_cluster.gro -o x_cluster.tpr
>>
>> trjconv -f xxx.xtc -o x_cluster.xtc -b 19000 -e 20000 -s
>> xx_cluster.tpr -pbc nojump
>>
>> Then I have to do anaysis on the new .tpr and .xtc...... is that correct....
>>
>> Is this the right way to correct for periodicity... I took the idea
>> from you and Chris. I have done the RDF and distance measurement but
>> looks a bit off my RDF did not converge to 1. They recommend me to
>> do PBC correction on my system which is run for 20ns. I am doing the
>> analysis on the last 1ns (from 19-20 ns)
>>

> Without context, I have no idea if what you've done is right. The
> clustering algorithm is only really useful for the formation of
> clustered molecules (i.e. micelles), so if you're trying to apply it
> to something else, I don't know that it will work.
>
> -Justin
>
>> You suggestion is always helpful!
>>
>> Rob
>>

>> Quoting "Justin A. Lemkul" <jalemkul at vt.edu>:

>>> Please see trjconv -h, as well as any of the thousands of posts in
>>> the list archive related to this topic.
>>>
>>> -Justin

>>> --
>>>
>>> Justin A. Lemkul
>>> Ph.D. Candidate
>>> ICTAS Doctoral Scholar
>>> MILES-IGERT Trainee
>>> Department of Biochemistry
>>> Virginia Tech
>>> Blacksburg, VA
>>> jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080
>>> http://www.bevanlab.biochem.vt.edu/Pages/Personal/justin[1]

>>> Please search the archive at
>>> http://www.gromacs.org/Support/Mailing_Lists/Search[3] before posting!
>>> Please don't post (un)subscribe requests to the list. Use the www
>>> interface or send it to gmx-users-request at gromacs.org.
>>> Can't post? Read http://www.gromacs.org/Support/Mailing_Lists[4]

> Justin A. Lemkul
> Ph.D. Candidate

> [...]