[gmx-users] Has anyone seen this error befor?

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Sep 15 17:31:08 CEST 2010

TJ Mustard wrote:

> I started a small 2 nucleic acid system for FEP testing. As well as
> turning on fep, I set RNA_Chain_A as the couple-moltype. I also set
> couple-lambda0 and couple-lambda1 to vdw-q and none respectively. I then
> began a "steep" mdrun and got this error:

Unrelated to your error, but potentially problematic: decoupling both LJ and
Coulombic interactions simultaneously might lead to convergence problems.  See
the free energy tutorial for information.

> Program mdrun, VERSION 4.5
> Source code file: topsort.c, line: 112
>
> Fatal error:
> Function type Improper Dih. not implemented in ip_pert
>

> I have searched for this on google and found nothing. Do I need an
> Improper Dihedral section in my top/itp file? I have ran this same

If you have planar compounds (like nucleic acids), you likely have a [dihedrals]
directive that corresponds to the impropers.  Check the function types.

> system with fep off and it runs perfectly.

It looks like the code in topsort.c does not deal with both F_IDIH and F_PIDIH,
which maybe (?) is the source of the problem.  Normal harmonic impropers can be
perturbed, i.e.:

     case F_IDIHS:
         bPert = (ip->harmonic.rA  != ip->harmonic.rB ||
                  ip->harmonic.krA != ip->harmonic.krB);
         break;

Perhaps there's something about your impropers that doesn't allow for
perturbation.  At the very least, a test for F_PIDIH is missing, but I'll defer
to the developers to weigh in on the need for a fix.

-Justin

> Any help is much appreciated.
>

> TJ Mustard
> Email: mustardt at onid.orst.edu