[gmx-users] Re: Tabulated potentials and normal nonbonded interaction at the same time

Thomas Schlesier schlesi at uni-mainz.de
Thu Sep 16 11:48:36 CEST 2010

Hi,
first, thank you for you're answers.
I looked more into the stuff.

I think i would use the following setup:

Since the CG-solvent is uncharged, i can use the normal
coulomb-interaction (PME) for the system.

For the vdw-part, i would use 'vdw_type=user' and:
energy_grps = CG Mol
energygrp_tables = CG CG (CG self-interaction) CG Mol (CG-Molecule
interaction)
(CG = CG-solvent; Mol=Molecule)
So i would need two tables (for each interaction one).
With this i should get all the vdw-interaction where the CG-solvent is
involved.

But since i need normal vdw-interactions for the Molecule
self-interaction, i would need in the .mdp-file
'vdw_type = user' AND 'vdw_type = cut-off'

Or am i wrong (hope so)? Because the only way i can think of to solve
the problem, would be that i make for every vdw-self-interaction of the
Molecule an own table, which wouldn't be good (since i read somewhere
that tables are slower then to calculated the interaction normally).

So how could i solve the problem, or this there no problem because i
didn't understand the whole stuff correctly (seems so because of Marks
reply)?

Greetings
Thomas