[gmx-users] ACE patch for CHARMM27

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sat Sep 18 19:35:17 CEST 2010

Krzysztof Kuczera wrote:

>  Dear Justin,
> Thank you very much for your quick response, which put me on the right
> track.
> Of course, I have some more questions and comments.
>
> 1. Putting residues in .rtp means adding ACE to the peptide sequence.
> This is not the CHARMM convention, where all blocking groups are handled
> through patches to existing residues. The advantage of the .rtp route is
> that this makes the treatment consistent with the other implemented
> force fields.

There has been some discussion about implementing such complex patching
capabilities in Gromacs, but as of yet, there is no progress publicly
implemented.  For this reason, it is easiest to simply construct the capping
groups yourself.

> 2. I believe the residues from the email need a little tweaking for
> consistency with CHARMM topology/parameters.

Perhaps; I can't comment on any of that.

> [ ACE ] needs an extra improper and a CMAP term:
> [ impropers ]
> +N CH3 CA +HN
> [ cmap ]
> C +N +CA +C
>
> and [ NAC ] needs a CMAP term
> [ cmap ]
> -N  -CA  -C  N
>
> 3. Why won't the .n.tdb approach work?
> The other reason I went with the .n.tdb file was that the amide (CT2) and
> N-methylamide (CT3) C-terminals are already implemented in the .c.tdb
> (CT3 is equivalent to the emailed NAC, with CMAP included). Belatedly,
> I see that the authors of CT3 also had problems with missing bonds, and
> added
> one in explicitly - I will try that and check my .top file for energy
> terms.

The terminal patching capacity is somewhat limited in its elegance.  Finding and
replacing an atom or two at a time is fairly simply, but constructing an entire
"residue" is not something the code can likely handle in its current incarnation.

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar