[gmx-users] pulling experiment

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Sep 20 04:28:51 CEST 2010

Xiaohua Zhang wrote:
> Sorry for my mistake about the group names.
>
> I was confused just to find it difficult to simultaneously fix one group
> (layer0) but pull another (layer2). It is possible to fix an absolute
> reference and pull layer2, but layer0 might follow the motion of layer2.
> For such experiment, the relative speeds between different layers are
> the most important.
>
> In my own MD code which can deal with only few kinds of atoms, I use a
> constraint to fix the COM of layer0, and add a constant force on each
> atom of layer2. My own MD can also do such thing, fix layer0 and slide
> layer2 at constant velocity. It seems GROMACS can do the same thing, the
> constant-speed sliding. However, I hope both can be done.

Both constant-velocity and constant-force pulling are possible.

> Because I am a new user of GROMACS, I am thinking such a way:
>
> Pulling layer2 by a constant force. (by using COM pulling parameters)
> and
> Fix layer0 by kinda constraint defined in the topology
>
> does this work?

In Gromacs, "constraints" and "restraints" are different concepts.  In order to
fix a group, you must apply either a position restraint or freeze the group.
Position restraints (I think) are more user-friendly and can be combined with
pressure coupling if an NPT ensemble is desired.

http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Terminology/Constraints_and_Restraints

-Justin

jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080