[gmx-users] cubic spline and continuous derivatives

Berk Hess gmx3 at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 20 11:05:37 CEST 2010

Hi,

Yes.
Cubic spline interpolation means piecewise interpolation with third order polynomials.
The terms says nothing about which derivatives are continuous.

Cubic spline interpolation is often used to interpolate between points where only
the function value itself is provided and in that case one usually chooses to match
the second derivative at the reference points. But that is just one of the many uses
of cubic spline interpolation.

Berk