[gmx-users] Energy Minimzation with Gromacs leads to distortionof planar groups

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Sep 21 13:45:24 CEST 2010

NG HUI WEN wrote:
> Hi
>
> Thanks a lot for the suggestions.
>
> I removed -DFLEXIBLE this time but it still didn't work unfortunately. I
> started off with 0 distorted planar group and ended up with 38 after
> minimization (same as before).
>
> Justin, the values were as below when the minimization converged to
> machine precision
> Pot E= -1.6560090 e+04 (initial = 5.64598 e+09)
> Max force = 2.8172894 e+02 (initial = 7.95313 e+11)
> Norm of force = 2.9346647 e+01

I guess this all comes down to the definition of "distorted."  A planar group
may not necessarily remain entirely planar during EM or MD.  It will be
maintained by an improper dihedral (details in the manual), so some positions
may fluctuate, but on average (during MD) the group should be planar.  If you've
detected severe distortions (i.e., impossible geometry) then it might be worth
additional investigation.  But given the fact that you've arrived at a
reasonable potential and maximum force, I see nothing wrong with your results.

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar