[gmx-users] How to make a lipid bilayer with specific dimensions?

chris.neale at utoronto.ca chris.neale at utoronto.ca
Mon Sep 27 14:30:02 CEST 2010

I don't think that this is currently causing anybody any problems, but
note that genbox is going to cut any lipids that cross out of the
central unit box (either because genbox is unaware of PBC or because
these lipids now clash across PBC).

Therefore:

genbox -cs popc128a.pdb -o popc_new.pdb -box 9.6 9.5 6.919

will give you a bilayer that gets solvated with a water defect around
the edges of the initial unit cell and that, after 10 - 200 ns of
simulation, gives you an equilibrated bilayer (without water defect)
that is much smaller than x=9.6, y=9.5.

To get what you want, you need to either start your bilayer with
larger x and y (calculate area per lipid in 9.6*9.5 to figure out how
many lipids you should have and keep running genbox until you get
that), or perhaps a run through inflategro might do it.

Chris.
[gmx-users] How to make a lipid bilayer with specific dimensions?
Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Sep 27 13:00:32 CEST 2010