[gmx-users] MPI and dual-core laptop

Gonçalo C. Justino goncalo.justino at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 20:53:39 CEST 2010

Hi,

My 2 cents on your problem:

I've been running gromacs on nearly everything, from one to six cores. It
works.

Besides mpi being in your /usr/local/bin, is it on the path of your system?

You can do, in the terminal
export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin
Or, for a more permanent solution,
go to your ~/.bashrc file, find a line which already has some PATH folders
in it, and add the :/usr/local/bin and then just retry the configure command
on a new terminal.

Sometimes I need to use different mpi implementations - apparently at
random. Building OpenMPI from source has been the most sucessfully
approach.

Don't know what system you're running, but there any many linux distros
which already include gromacs in the repos.

Hope it helps,
Gonçalo