[gmx-users] How to make a lipid bilayer with specific dimensions?

NG HUI WEN HuiWen.Ng at nottingham.edu.my
Tue Sep 28 04:13:23 CEST 2010

Points noted, thanks Justin!

-----Original Message-----
From: gmx-users-bounces at gromacs.org
[mailto:gmx-users-bounces at gromacs.org] On Behalf Of Justin A. Lemkul
Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 2010 10:06 AM
To: Discussion list for GROMACS users
Subject: Re: [gmx-users] How to make a lipid bilayer with specific
dimensions?

NG HUI WEN wrote:
> Thanks for that guys! I will try them out.
>
> Just a quick question here with regards to my lipids being possibly
too
> small,  does it have something to do with the minimum image criterion
> for PBC? I have ensured that the distance of edge of the box and the
> atoms at the side of the protein to be greater than the cutoff of
1.2nm
> (PME is used)... in the hope that the protein would not interact with
> it's neighbouring image. I hope I'm not going down the wrong direction
> in my understanding of pbc...
>
> Thanks!!!

There is no direct relationship between genbox and the minimum image
convention.
  You certainly need to build a system that is of sufficient size to
avoid
spurious PBC interactions, but when genbox does is independent of this
fact.
The problem is that genbox will not place a molecule that falls
partially
outside the box, thus deleting an entire lipid and leaving a gap at the
edge of
the box.  Like Chris said, this can lead to your system compressing
somewhat to
give dimensions smaller than what you were hoping for.  Whether or not
this is a
problem in the long run is up to you to decide based on the specifics of
your
system.

Short answer: make your box slightly larger than you think you need and
equilibrate for a long time to ensure that your box is stable.

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar