[gmx-users] topology file for two molecules

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Sep 28 12:38:44 CEST 2010

Gavin Melaugh wrote:
> Hi Mark.
>
> I have looked this up, but I am a little uncertain. Does one of the
> topologies have to be included within the other as an .itp file. If so

No.  You #include .itp files to simply add molecules within a .top; it would be
very rare to #include an .itp within an .itp (although it can be done).  For
your case, your .top is simple:

#include (force field)

#include "cage.itp"
#include "pentane.itp"

[ system ]
My system

[ molecules ]
Cage    1
Pentane 1

> do I only define the [defaults directive] in the .top file i.e. I take
> it I don't include this directive in the .itp file as well.

The [defaults] directive is provided by whatever force field you #include.  If
you're using some custom parameters, then it needs to be defined once (and only
once) at the top of your .top file.  Otherwise, you'll get fatal errors from grompp.

-Justin

> Cheers
>
> Gavin
>
> Mark Abraham wrote:
>> Look up the include file mechanism on the webpage.
>>
>> Mark

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar