[gmx-users] Steered molecular dynamics and Parinello-Rahman and bond constraints.

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Sep 29 21:05:53 CEST 2010

quantrum75 wrote:
> Hi GMX-users,
> I am beginning to use the steered molecular dynamics method to perform a
> potential of mean field calculation. In your experience, does it matter
> what kind of a thermostat and pressure coupling is used? Does
> Nose-Hoover and Parinello-Rahman perform better than Berendsen for this
> purpose? Does it even matter?

That depends on how rigorously correct you want your ensemble to be.  Berendsen
coupling does not generate temperatures/pressures that correspond to any known
statistical mechanical ensemble.  This issue has been discussed dozens of times
across this list.  Check the archives (and the literature) for details.

> Also with regards to the constraints on the bonds using the "all-bonds"
> option, Does it matter? I worry that applying constraints on the
> molecule being pulled will prevent it from sampling the configurational
> space effectively and thus giving false results on the PMF and binding
> energies. Maybe I am completely off the mark here.

See the manual, section 6.3, where this very topic is discussed.

-Justin

> Thanks in advance.
> Regards
> Rama