[gmx-users] NAMD simulation in Gromacs

oguz gurbulak gurbulakoguz at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 30 22:57:20 CEST 2010

Dear All,

I think, In order to continue a NAMD simulation in Gromacs I should first save the last coordinates (.coor file in namd ) as a pdb file and convert it into gro file . But there are many ways to get a gro file

- using pdb2gmx ( but I should choose the force field in gromacs. This may be a problem. ) By the way, I changed CHARMM force field and use Amber type force field in NAMD.

-using VMD ( but I’m not sure if it works )

-using editconf in gromacs ( if you have the structure in pdb format, you can convert it into a .gro file with editconf. Also, the size of the box should be specified (in gromacs the length for the vectors a, b and c is in nm, not angstrom)
 editconf -f file.pdb -o file.gro -box a b c -angles 90 90 90

Could you share your ideas about this process ? What should I do ?

Then I should convert the psf file into gromacs top file.

If I get a gro and top file correctly, I can continue NAMD simulation in Gromacs. Is it true ?

I examined the gromacs tutorials. And I think I must have a tpr and a xtc file to use gromacs analysis tools. I can get a xtc file from NAMD dcd file but how can I create a tpr file ?  Is there a way to get a tpr file from NAMD files?

Kind regards.