[gmx-users] Heat of vap

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sun Apr 3 05:27:40 CEST 2011

Elisabeth wrote:
> Dear David,
>
> I followed your instructions and calculated Heat of vaporization of my
> alkane once with one molecule in gas phase (no cutoff) and once with
> equivalent number of molecules as in liquid phase as Justin suggested.
> Results are as follows:

To get heat of vaporization, you shouldn't be simulating just a single molecule
in the gas phase, it should be an equivalent number of molecules as you have in
the liquid phase.

> *one single molecule in gas phase*
>
> Energy                      Average   Err.Est.       RMSD  Tot-Drift
> LJ (SR)                    -2.24473      0.073      1.292   0.342696
> (kJ/mol)
> Coulomb (SR)                11.5723       0.55    2.17577   -2.33224
> (kJ/mol)
> Potential                  *  59.244 *      0.94    10.9756    6.35631
> (kJ/mol)
> Total Energy                106.647          1    15.4828    6.78792
> (kJ/mol)
>
> *equivalent number of molecules as in liquid* ( large box 20 nm)
>
> Statistics over 1000001 steps [ 0.0000 through 2000.0000 ps ], 4 data sets
> All statistics are over 100001 points
>
> Energy                      Average   Err.Est.       RMSD  Tot-Drift
> LJ (SR)                    -2.16367      0.053   0.171542   0.374027
> (kJ/mol)
> Coulomb (SR)                11.2894       0.23    0.49105   -1.44437
> (kJ/mol)
> Potential                 *  63.2369    *    1.1    2.47211    7.69756
> (kJ/mol)
> Total Energy                114.337        1.1    2.65547    7.72258
> (kJ/mol)
>

>  Since pbc is set to NO molecules leave the box and I dont know if this
> all right. I hope the difference is acceptable...!

For "pbc = no" there is no box.

> 0- I am going to do the same calculation but for some polymers solvated
> in the alkane. For binary system do I need to look at nonboded terms?
> and then run a simulation for a single polymer in vacuum?
>
> Can you please provide me with a recipe for Delta Hvap of the solute in
> a solvent?

The method for calculating heat of vaporization is not dependent upon the
contents of the system; it is a fundamental thermodynamic definition.  Heat of
vaporization is not something that can be calculated from a solute in a solvent.
  You can calculate DHvap for a particular system, but not some subset of that
system.

> 1- If I want to look at nonboded interactions only, do I have to add
> Coul. recip.  to [ LJ (SR)  + Coulomb (SR) ] ?

The PME-related terms contain both solute-solvent, solvent-solvent, and
potentially solute-solute terms (depending on the size and nature of the
solute), so trying to interpret this term in some pairwise fashion is an
exercise in futility.

-Justin

> coulombtype         =  PME
> vdw-type            =  Shift