[gmx-users] FEP and loss of performance

Luca Bellucci lcbllcc at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 14:59:36 CEST 2011

I followed your suggestions and i tried to perform a MD run wit GROMACS and
NAMD for dialanine peptide in a water box. The cell side cubic box was 40 A.

GROMACS:
With the free energy module there is a drop in gromacs performance of about
10/20 fold.
Standard MD:      Time:          6.693       6.693    100.0
Free energy MD:   Time:    136.113    136.113    100.0

NAMD:
With free energy module there is not a  drop in performance so evident as in
gromacs.
Standard MD   6.900000
Free energy MD 9.600000

I would like to point out that this kind of calculation is common, in fact in
the manual of gromacs 4.5.3 it is reported  " There is a special option system
that couples all molecules types in the system. This can be useful for
equilibrating a system [..] ".

Actually, I would understand if there is a solution to resolve the drop in
gromacs performance for this kind of calculation.

Luca