[gmx-users] unable to equilibrate protein in membrane with NPT

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Apr 8 15:24:45 CEST 2011

Peter C. Lai wrote:
> On 2011-04-08 08:16:19AM -0500, Justin A. Lemkul wrote:
>>
>> Peter C. Lai wrote:

>>> Switching to V-rescale and tau_t to 0.1 0.1 0.1 also crashes.
>> My recommendation was for the barostat, not the thermostat.
>>
>>> LINCS is complaining about C-H interactions in both the mobile lipid chains
>>> as well as atoms restrained by posre.itp
>>>
>>> Maybe I will run without LINCS all-bond?
>> No, that will make your life worse.  Just because the constraints fail doesn't
>> mean that you need to disable LINCS.
>>
>> http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Errors#LINCS.2fSETTLE.2fSHAKE_warnings
>> http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Terminology/Blowing_Up
>
> So basically, just keep running NVT until I can get NPT stabilized?
> Thanks.

At some point you need to equilibrate under NPT.  Indefinite use of NVT serves
no purpose.  If your NVT conditions stabilized, then proceeding to NPT is
logical.  If NVT didn't stabilize, then yes, backtrack and finish that
equilibration properly.

The main point is if your system still has some unfavorable geometry somewhere,
the application of a barostat that can cause big pressure oscillations is going
to treat your system very nastily.  Some systems require a bit more finesse, so
when it's time to introduce pressure coupling to the system, use a weak coupling
(i.e. Berendsen) method so the system relaxes.  Then, once that's stable, switch
to P-R to get a proper NPT ensemble.

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar