[gmx-users] How to install GROMACS in Rocks Cluster 4.5.4 : ERROR

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Apr 11 20:01:58 CEST 2011

Miguel Quiliano Meza wrote:
> Dear community.
>
> I have been trying to install gromacs 4.5.4 in my rocks cluster version
> 5.4 but unfortunately the system showed "configure: error: Cannot find
> fftw3 library" after launch the ./configure (you can see below)
>
> Really I do not understand because I did before this:
>
> # export LDFLAGS="-L/opt/rocks/lib"
>    # export CPPFLAGS="-I/opt/rocks/include"
>
>     # ./configure --enable-mpi --disable-float
>     --prefix=/share/apps/opt/gromacs
>
>        configure: error: Cannot find fftw3 library

You have a precision mismatch.  By using --disable-float you are trying to
install Gromacs in double precision (which for most applications is not
necessary and results in some performance loss).  Thus, you need FFTW in double
precision as well.  You probably compiled FFTW in single precision, thus the
libraries are named libfftw3f, not libfftw3.

-Justin

> [...]
> checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... (cached) yes
> checking for a sed that does not truncate output... /bin/sed
> checking for ld used by mpicc... /usr/bin/ld
> checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... yes
> checking for /usr/bin/ld option to reload object files... -r
> checking for BSD-compatible nm... /usr/bin/nm -B
> checking how to recognise dependent libraries... pass_all
> checking dlfcn.h usability... yes
> checking dlfcn.h presence... yes
> checking for dlfcn.h... yes
> checking whether mpicc accepts -g... yes
> checking dependency style of mpicc... gcc3
> checking how to run the C++ preprocessor... mpicc -E
> checking the maximum length of command line arguments... 32768
> checking command to parse /usr/bin/nm -B output from mpicc object... failed
> checking for objdir... .libs
> checking for ar... ar
> checking for ranlib... ranlib
> checking for strip... strip
> checking if mpicc supports -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions... no
> checking for mpicc option to produce PIC... -fPIC
> checking if mpicc PIC flag -fPIC works... yes
> checking if mpicc static flag -static works... no
> checking if mpicc supports -c -o file.o... yes
> checking whether the mpicc linker (/usr/bin/ld -m elf_x86_64) supports
> shared libraries... yes
> checking whether -lc should be explicitly linked in... no
> checking dynamic linker characteristics... GNU/Linux ld.so
> checking whether stripping libraries is possible... yes
> checking for shl_load... no
> checking for shl_load in -ldld... no
> checking for dlopen... yes
> checking whether a program can dlopen itself... yes
> checking whether a statically linked program can dlopen itself... yes
> checking if libtool supports shared libraries... yes
> checking whether to build shared libraries... yes
> checking whether to build static libraries... yes
> configure: creating libtool
> appending configuration tag "CXX" to libtool
> checking for ld used by mpicc... /usr/bin/ld -m elf_x86_64
> checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld -m elf_x86_64) is GNU ld... yes
> checking whether the mpicc linker (/usr/bin/ld -m elf_x86_64) supports
> shared libraries... yes
> checking for mpicc option to produce PIC... -fPIC
> checking if mpicc PIC flag -fPIC works... yes
> checking if mpicc static flag -static works... no
> checking if mpicc supports -c -o file.o... yes
> checking whether the mpicc linker (/usr/bin/ld -m elf_x86_64) supports
> shared libraries... yes
> checking dynamic linker characteristics... GNU/Linux ld.so
> appending configuration tag "F77" to libtool
> checking for special C compiler options needed for large files... no
> checking for _FILE_OFFSET_BITS value needed for large files... no
> checking for _LARGEFILE_SOURCE value needed for large files... no
> checking for sqrt in -lm... yes
> checking for fftw3.h... yes
> checking for main in -lfftw3... no
> configure: error: Cannot find fftw3 library

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar
MILES-IGERT Trainee