[gmx-users] 2nd question related to load imbalance

Erik Marklund erikm at xray.bmc.uu.se
Wed Apr 13 11:32:23 CEST 2011

delara aghaie skrev 2011-04-13 11.26:
> Hello
> Previously I used gromacs/3.3 for my simulations of DPPc
> monolayer+Tip4P2005. I saw that it uses particle decomposition
> Now I want to use versin 4.0.7 because I need tcoupl=v-rescale
> This version does the domain decomposition which causes load imbalance.
> with this version because of load imbalance and loss of performance
> the simulation needs longer time to run.
> so the question:
> what is the benefit of this domain decomposition. I think it causes
> the runs to be done slower !!!.
> thanks
> D.aghaie

Most of the time it reduces communication of coordinates, which in turn
can is one of the big bottlenecks in parallel MD. Domain decomposition
makes sure that atoms which are close to eachother, and hence are likely
to interact, are passed to the same core. With particle decomposition
the atoms are statically asigned to the different cores, and the
decomposition may not reflect how the aroms interact.

Why go for 4.0.7, why not 4.5.4?

Erik Marklund, PhD student
Husargatan 3, Box 596,    75124 Uppsala, Sweden
phone:    +46 18 471 4537        fax: +46 18 511 755
erikm at xray.bmc.uu.se    http://folding.bmc.uu.se/