[gmx-users] diverging temperature with pressure coupling

Dommert Florian dommert at icp.uni-stuttgart.de
Mon Apr 18 13:41:42 CEST 2011

On Mon, 2011-04-18 at 11:42 +0200, David van der Spoel wrote:
> On 2011-04-18 11.22, Dommert Florian wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > oh this nasty ILs ;) I am currently investigating a similar problem,
> > that deals with PR-coupling and my impression is that Leap-Frog is the
> > problem and not PR. Currently I am running simulations with md-vv and
> > MTTK to verify my ideas. On the other hand I am using two tc_groups for
> > my ILs due their difference in size. Unfortunately you have not written
> > which IL you deal with, but thinking about long chain ILs like
> > [BMIM][Cl], or [BMIM][PF6], the degrees of freedom for the different
> > molecules differ strongly. Here the big question is why does the
> > barostat influence the thermostat. It seems one has to be very very
> > careful, when choosing the coupling parameter for PR. I did a bunch of
> > simulations just varying the coupling parameter and obtained large
> > differences in the dynamics of my system, while static properties like
> > RDF, density of mass, and pressure look quite fine. For example if I
> > calculate the conductivity including correlation effects the values
> > differ from 2 S/m up to 12 S/m. But so far I also have no idea why ???
> > I am really happy when I finally got my results with vv and if you are
> > interested I can report back to the list or off-list, just let me know.
> >
> > On the other hand I do not know if the force field could be a problem.
> > PR changes the box size according to a Lagrangian equation of motion in
> > contrast to Berendsen, which just does size rescaling. I do not know how
> > sensible this equations of motions are in respect to the motion of the
> > atoms. Perhaps one can try to perform simulation with a higher accuracy
> > for the electrostatic interactions. I realized that the standard PME
> > settings are quite poor for ILs. Perhaps the Berendsen pressure coupling
> > can deal with this, because it forces the box to scale. PR follows its
> > equations of motions and PERHAPS introduces artefacts if the integration
> > of atomic trajectories is too inaccurate.
> >
> > So my PME settings are like this:
> >
> > rcut=1.3 ( here the force field tells you the number )
> > pme_order=6
> > fourierspacing=0.05
> > rtol=1e-8
> >
> > This are just approximate values, exact numbers can be calculated by
> > g_pme_error for your system.
> >
> Florian, these PME values are scary! Are you running in double precision
> too, otherwise I guess it will be difficult to get the errors as low as
> you want them.

Hello David,

these settings yield an accuracy of 10^-4 kJ/(mol nm), which should be
captured by a single precision calculation, if I take into account that
I have forces around 100kJ/(mol nm). Am I wrong ?

> As regards the Temperature diversion (no pun intended), this is a known
> issue also with Berendsen T,P coupling. The reason for this is lack of
> interaction between the different subsystems. It is interesting to hear
> the PR makes it worse though, because of the better ensemble properties.
>
> If this also has an effect on dynamic properties all of us are in even
> more trouble. I recently had problems reproducing dielectric constants.
> I will now  redo my simulation with Berendsen P-coupling instead of PR,
> even though grompp tells me not to!

So I assume the rerun with Berendsen will give you faster dynamics,
which I had when using Berendsen. However as you mentioned you get into
problems for creating a correct canonical ensemble.

Cheers,

Flo

--
Florian Dommert