[gmx-users] DNA not wrapping around CNT in MD simulation

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sat Apr 23 02:18:50 CEST 2011

majid hasan wrote:
> Okay, thanks, I removed restraints from water.
>
>  In the final simulation, I increased the simulation time from 20ps to
> 2000ps to see if they wrap around. However in .trr output, CNT and DNA
> remain stable, jiggles around and jump across the box in a weird manner
> (might have something to do with periodic boundary conditions?) but
> don't seem to be attracted towards each other.

2 ns is still what would be considered an extremely short simulation.
Large-scale behavior may take tens or hundreds of ns.  I have no experience with
DNA-CNT interactions, but for protein-protein interactions (even for small
peptides), such time scales are certainly necessary.

> Movie of output is here:
> http://phas.ubc.ca/~majid/Project/msteps/cntdna2000ps.mpg

I don't see anything odd about this at all.  If you're having periodicity
issues, trjconv is the tool to take care of that.

http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Terminology/Periodic_Boundary_Conditions#Suggested_trjconv_workflow

> and input em.mdp, and md.mdp files are here:
> EM: http://phas.ubc.ca/~majid/Project/msteps/lbfgs.mdp
> <http://phas.ubc.ca/~majid/Project/msteps/lbfgs.mdp>MD: http://phas.ubc.ca/~majid/Project/msteps/md.mdp
>
> Commands that I have been using to build input coordinates, and
> topologies are below:
>
>  For dna:           pdb2gmx -f dna.pdb -o dna.gro -p dna.top -ff select
> (Selected amber99sb, and TIP3P water model)
>
> For cnt:             g_x2top -f cnt.gro -o cnt.top -ff select -pbc
> (selected amber99sb)
>
> For mixing :        genbox -cp cnt.gro -ci dna.gro -o cntdna.gro -nmol 1
> -try 20
>
> For solvation:     genbox -cp cntdna.gro -cs spc.gro -o cntdnasol.gro
>
> <http://phas.ubc.ca/~majid/Project/msteps/md.mdp>I have no clue what is
> wrong with the simulation, and any help is much appreciated.

Likely nothing is "wrong," you just aren't simulating long enough.

-Justin