[gmx-users] dealing with ATP

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sat Apr 23 15:16:24 CEST 2011

Sajad Ahrari wrote:
> tnx for your help Justin!
> but shouldn't the topology of S atom be described for gromacs? unless
> gromacs may know P atom with the same topology as S. although they may
> not be the same!?

You're talking about two separate issues - atom types and parameters for
molecules.  Yes, most (all?) force fields describe both P and S atoms, but I
guarantee none of them have (by default) parameters for some species named "d"
that represents ADP-SO4.  You cannot assign parameters from P blindly to S and
hope for the best.  That sounds fundamentally wrong to me.

In your original message, it sounded like you wanted to change ADP-SO4 into ATP,
but perhaps I misunderstood what you intended.  No force field will be able to
assign parameters to ADP-SO4, even though the force field may recognize
individual atoms, it cannot construct a topology for any arbitrary molecules.

If you need to simulation this ADP-SO4 species, you're in for the long road of
parameterization:

http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/How-tos/Parameterization

Otherwise, change the S atom to P and name the molecule ATP so it will be
recognized by whatever force field you choose, after you have verified that the
force field can indeed recognize such a species.  Otherwise, you're stuck doing
parameterization for ATP, too.

-Justin

> regards
> sajad