[gmx-users] POL3 water model

Ivan Gladich ivan.gladich at marge.uochb.cas.cz
Wed Apr 27 12:14:42 CEST 2011

Dear Saly
      from my little experience, POL3 water model is a point polarizable
water model.
Point polarizable water models are not available in gromacs.
Gromacs uses shell model, i.e. charge attached on a spring to mimic the
stretching of the electronic cloud.

So you have 3 solutions
a) You can take the POL3 model, look the polarizability of oxygen and
hydrogen atom  and attach shells on oxygen and hydrogens atoms in order
to reproduce the model for gromacs.
b) In Gromacs there are other polarizable water models using shell (e.g.
SWM4-DP,  SWM4-NDP,  SW ), you could try with one of this...in my
opinion this is the best solution..;)
c) If you really need POL3 model, try with other molecular package that
have point polarizable POL3 water (e.g. AMBER)

I hope this help
Ivan

--
------