[gmx-users] rigid tetrahedral molecule

Sanku M msanku65 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 28 05:54:35 CEST 2011

Hi,
  I tried to keep the geometry of the BF4 fixed by using constraints using
lincs. But , unfortunately, my simulation is crashing immediately and if I try
minimization with only 2 molecules, it provides a lot of LINCS warning and
generate a lot of step*.pdb file . If I try to visualize the minimized snapshot
in VMD, it looks like all the distances I tried to constrain decreased
drastically. Finally, trying MD run with this "minimized" configuration results
in crashing due to bad contacts.

 I am sure I am doing something wrong and it might be that my itp file is wrong
. So any help will be highly appreciated.
Here is the details of what I did.

      The geometry of the molecule is tetrahedral with B at the center and 4 F
atoms is surrounding it in a tetrahedral manner.
I first generated a itp file for BF4 which is shown below: I first got the LJ
parameters and charges for B and F atom and put them in ffoplsnb.itp file as new
atom types opls_1014 and opls_1015 . Initially I tried to put contsraint along
all bonds ( i.e among F atoms as well ). But, grompp provides warning that
number of constraint is more than number of degrees of freedom. So, I reduced
number of constraints by only putting constraint among B and F. But, it did not
work either.

Here is  the .itp file I wrote for rigid BF4 . It will be great if someone can
point me what I am doing wrong.

  [ moleculetype ]
; molname       nrexcl
BF4             3

[ atoms ]
#ifdef _FF_OPLS
     1  opls_1014   1    BF4    B       1      0.8276
     2  opls_1015   1    BF4    F1      1      -0.4569
     3  opls_1015   1    BF4    F2      1      -0.4569
     4  opls_1015   1    BF4    F3      1      -0.4569
     5  opls_1015   1    BF4    F4      1      -0.4569
#endif
[ constraints ]
  1  2   1   0.146
  1  3   1   0.146