[gmx-users] R: Md continuation with cpt

Anna Marabotti anna.marabotti at isa.cnr.it
Fri Apr 29 10:45:45 CEST 2011

 Dear gmx-users, Mark and Justin,
thank you for your previous and precious support, but now I have another
doubt. As I told you previously, looking at my trajectory I can see that the
protein is still not fully equilibrated, then I would like to continue the
simulation. However, now if I use tpbconv with -extend and mdrun with -cpi,
I'm forced to use the file .tpr that still contains the erroneous
information about the init_step. On the other hand, if I make a new .tpr
file using an .mdp file with init_step = 0, this will no longer be an exact
continuation (at least I think so). Is there a way to manage this problem? I
see that in tpbconv options there is the flag -nsteps, but I don't know if
(and how) it would be a good idea to use it for this problem.

BTW, I tried to recover my .edr file using the command
eneconv -e 1.edr 2.edr 3.edr 4.edr -o full.edr -settime
as Mark suggested, and using option 0 for the first file, and "l" to set the
time as the continuation from the end of the previous one, but it didn't
work: I obtained a new .edr file still with the error message "timestep
don't match", and when I transformed it into a .xvg file, there was the same
error as previously: only few points were saved, at 0, 60, 160, 260, 5000,
10000 and 15000 ps (instead of 140, 200, 300 400, 5140, 10140, 15140 ps as
previously). I don't know if I used it incorrectly. However, using the .trr
files and the option mdrun -rerun, I obtained a new .edr file in which I
could obtain a "coarse-grained" (the sampling was every 50000 steps) .edr
file in which I could see that the energy values are stable. Any suggestions
on this point?

Many thanks and best regards
Anna