[gmx-users] rigid tetrahedral molecule

gyorgy.hantal at fc.up.pt gyorgy.hantal at fc.up.pt
Fri Apr 29 17:55:10 CEST 2011

Hi Sanku,

I've read about your problem just now, I don't know if it's already
solved but I had the same problem some weeks ago and I also had a lot
of troubles. But, finally I managed to solve it so maybe my
experiences can be helpful for you:

I think you should use SHAKE instead of LINCS. The manual says
somewhere that LINCS cannot be used when constraining triangles (i.e.
angles) but SHAKE works fine. On the other hand, if you use SHAKE you
must switch from domain decomposition to particle decomposition (if
you run your simulations parallel) just by using -pd when you type
mdrun ('domain decomposition = no' in the mdp file is not enough).

Then you must add as many constraints as degrees of freedom you have,
so 9 in your case. In my case it was 15 for the PF6 anion. Maybe it'll
work with less than 9 but in my case I had to add 15 contraints. What
I did was the following:
First I constrained all P-F bonds then I constrained fictious F-F
bonds that I thought would make the molecule rigid. But it wasn't
enough. Then I added some more redundant F-F contraints (up to 15 in
total) in a bit arbitrary way until I found the 'magic combination'.
Now my simulations run perfectly.

I hope this helps.

best,
Gyorgy